Case of Kayleah Wilson, 12 years, unsolved

  • By Michael Weitzman
  • 07 Nov, 2016
TheTribune  Serving Greeley and Weld County, CO

5 years later: 12-year-old Kayleah’s death still a mystery

Joshua Polson/ [email protected]  | The Greeley Tribune

April Wilson, right, talks with Det. Christian Morgan, with the Greeley Police Department on Tuesday at the site where Kayleah Wilson's body was found...

Five years ago, to find answers in the disappearance and death of 12-year-old Kayleah Wilson, the FBI offered a $20,000 reward. That reward still stands today.

A witness who has information that leads to the arrest and conviction of a suspect can receive the $20,000. That person also would help the Wilson family find the answers they’ve been seeking for five years.

“Somebody out there knows who did this,” said the lead investigator, Christian Morgan. “We would love to pay out this reward.”

To call in a tip, the number is (970) 351-5315. Morgan said they can take anonymous tips but would much prefer a number so they can call the tipster back.

Timeline for the disappearance and death of Kayleah Wilson:

» Sunday, March 28, 2010, 3:40 p.m.: Twelve-year-old Kayleah leaves her home to walk to meet a friend at the Greeley Mall across the U.S. 34 Bypass. She was going to a birthday party with that friend. That is the last time she is seen by her family.

» Same day, 7 p.m.: When her daughter hasn’t returned at the time she was supposed to, Kayleah’s mother, April Wilson, first calls her friends to see if they know where she is.

» About 10 p.m.: April notifies Greeley police of her missing daughter. Police begin a search of the area, and also contact Kayleah’s friends. They believe at first the girl may have been a runaway. Then they learn she never met her friend or arrived at the birthday party.

» Monday, March 29: April and Kayleah’s brother, 17-year-old Mackenzie, put out missing child posters with her photo and the words: “We love you! Come home, call us. Jesus loves you! We are going to Cowboy Church on Easter.” Attached are phone numbers to call. The family hangs the posters on fences and telephone poles in the area and pass out the posters to people living nearby or just walking in the area. There are no answers.

» March 31: Greeley police have determined it’s not a runaway case and increase the searches and investigation. Search dogs are brought in, but find no trails of the girl. Police send out the first press releases because they are no longer looking for a runaway. Twenty-five police officers are on the case, and the FBI is notified. They will bring in 50 agents to search.

» April 1: A Facebook group, “Prayers for Kayleah Wilson’s safe return” has launched a campaign; the Rocky Mountain Safe Streets Task Force steps in to help. Searches are organized for the next several days. No one finds any trace of the girl.

» April 4: On Easter Sunday, April Wilson’s family attends the Northern Colorado Cowboy Church services to receive help in praying for Kayleah. Police agencies continue to search, combing the outlying areas from her home and the Greeley Mall.

» April 5: A security camera at the Greeley Mall parking lot shows Kayleah walking through the lot, but then out of camera range. There is nothing else and no one else suspicious in the video. More searches are organized.

» Early morning, May 19: A ditch rider turns on the water to an irrigation ditch in west Greeley, about a half-mile from the Wilson home. At the base of a 10-foot waterfall, he sees a small body, turning in the rolling water. Police immediately cover the area and Kayleah’s body is found. The same day, Kayleah’s former boyfriend, Robert Montoya, 18, is arrested and bond is set at $100,000. He is not arrested for the murder, but because he admitted to having sex with the 12-year-old girl, he was arrested for sexual assault on a child.

» May 25: Hundreds attend the memorial service for Kayleah Wilson in downtown Greeley. Her body has been cremated, and some ashes are left in a memorial wall at Sunset Memorial Gardens. The rest of her ashes are in an urn that April Wilson places in her bedroom, so she can talk with her daughter.

» Ten months later, on March 22: The trial begins for Robert Montoya.

» March 25: After a three-day trial, Montoya is convicted and sentenced to eight years to life in the state penitentiary. He remains there today.

In honor of Kayleah Wilson, her disappearance and murder, police have formed the Northern Colorado Child Abduction Team.

According to Detective Christian Morgan, every police agency in Weld County is a member, along with the Department of Human Services.

“We meet regularly and have training across the country about how to handle the abduction of children,” Morgan said. “It shows us how to respond quickly and to multiply in force when there is a child abduction.”

The group made April Wilson, Kayleah’s mother, an honorary member of the organization.

Others affected by the Kayleah Wilson case

Of the hundreds of people involved in the searches and investigation of the Kayleah Wilson abduction and murder five years ago, many still feel strongly in the case.

» Mackenzie Jamison, Kayleah’s older brother: “I was 17 when she was taken, 22 now. I’ve become a videographer and photographer, and she’s the reason I work hard on those; she always pushed me to be better.” Mackenzie said he didn’t want to talk about who may have killed his sister, but he visits the cemetery often, where some of her cremains were interred.

» Brenda Jamison of Greeley, Kayleah’s grandmother: “She was an awesome, sweet girl, who wanted to help everybody. If somebody needed a friend, they could count on Kayleah. This was our fifth Christmas without her. Even though it’s been five years, people still ask us about the case, and most of them think it was solved. We have to tell them we still don’t have any answers yet.”

» Sgt. Bill West, Greeley police: “It ranks as one of the toughest cases we’ve ever handled at GPD. We worked as hard on that case as any case we’ve ever had – everyone who worked it gave their all. We all hope that someday it will be solved because we’ve solved some difficult ones before.”

» Greeley Police Chief Jerry Garner: He spoke often about the case when it was first opening, and still has strong feelings. “When I think of the Kayleah Wilson case, the first thing to my mind is that it is still a very active case for us. We know it is a solvable case and we intend to solve it.”

It doesn’t stand at the exact location where her body was found five years ago, but the old wooden cross for Kayleah is still there along the banks of the irrigation ditch; weathered wood and rusty nails, held up by a pile of rocks. The old cross can easily be seen from 29th Street, especially when the sun is low, lighting the background with the glow that comes in the early spring.

Five years have passed since Kayleah Wilson’s body was found here, in this irrigation ditch. A 12-year-old girl, missing two months and at last found; the victim of a murder.

Even though it’s been half a decade since Kayleah was abducted and murdered, police are still looking for the person who killed her.

Five years could seem like a long time, yet still, when April Wilson sat down in a Greeley restaurant and talked of her daughter, her brown eyes still brim with tears.

April has Kayleah’s ashes in a container in her bedroom at home, and said, “I still talk to her every day.”

Five years ago Saturday, Kayleah Wilson left her home in south Greeley just before 4 in the afternoon. She was going to meet a friend just a few blocks away, over by the Greeley Mall, and they were going to another friend’s birthday party.

After she left her home, Kayleah’s family would never again see her alive.

Her disappearance and the subsequent searches and investigation into the case likely made it the biggest case in the Greeley Police Department’s history, according to the lead investigator in the case, Detective Christian Morgan.

“Literally, hundreds of people became involved in this case,” Morgan said. “From the police, sheriff’s office, fire departments, FBI, law agencies across the country and the volunteers on the search teams.” In addition to the local police agencies working the case, the FBI sent 50 agents to Greeley to join in the search. Yet no one could find the 12-year-old. At first, they thought she may have been a runaway, hiding out somewhere in Greeley.

For nearly two months, the search for Kayleah continued. National child search agencies sent out posters, volunteer groups searched throughout Weld County. The news of the missing 12-year-old made national headlines and newscasts. The television media literally camped out in the Wilson’s parking lot, hoping to get an interview with her mother or any other family member.

“For two weeks,” April said, “to get out of our house, I had to go out the back door very quietly, climb over a brick wall, and then go to my hidden car.”

And then, on May 19, a ditch rider turned on the water flow to an irrigation ditch in west Greeley, less than a half-mile from the Wilson home. The ditch wound through some fields, went underground for a distance, then down behind a building that is in the 3300 block of 29th Street. There, at the bottom of a 10-foot water drop, the ditch rider saw a body, stuck at the bottom of the waterfall, turning in the current. It was Kayleah, the 12-year-old missing girl.

As soon as her body was found, the Greeley police moved the Wilson family from their home to a hotel in another city, April said.

“They were so good about it … they knew what we’d been through with the TV media, and wanted to protect us,” she said.

Morgan, who has been the lead detective in this case from the beginning, can’t say what the cause of death was for the girl.

“That’s some of the information we’re going to withhold,” Morgan said. “Only the killer would know how she died.”

Immediately, police contacted the man who has been their “person of interest” in this case from the very beginning: Kayleah’s one-time boyfriend, 18-year-old Robert Montoya.

Court affidavits released by the district attorney’s office show Montoya was asked to leave his own home when his mother brought her boyfriend to live with them. The boyfriend had a criminal record of sexual assaults on children, and Robert’s mother knew her children couldn’t live in the same house. So she asked her children to leave.

Because April Wilson knew Montoya and his mother, she allowed the then 17-year-old to move into the Wilson home, temporarily.

Court records show that during this time, Montoya and Kayleah had sexual relations. When April found out, she ordered Montoya to leave their home. Kayleah broke up with Montoya, but he apparently didn’t want the relationship to end. Montoya began following the 12-year-old girl and would hide in the bushes outside her house and confront her when she came out. One day, he was caught looking in the windows of Brentwood Middle School, which Kayleah attended, and he admitted to trying to see her in class.

Kayleah called Montoya a “stalker freak,” and told him to leave her alone. She had also told some friends she might have been pregnant, but that couldn’t be proven after she was found, because of the condition of the body, which may have been in the ditch for nearly two months.

Court records show that about a month after she called Montoya a stalker, Kayleah disappeared.

Despite the evidence against Montoya, Morgan said they didn’t have enough to arrest him for the murder of the girl.

Montoya’s trial for sexual assault on a child began almost a year later. Montoya admitted having sex with the girl, but claimed he was a juvenile — just 17 years old. Prosecutors in the case maintain the couple also had sex several times after Montoya turned 18.

He was convicted of sexual assault on a child and was sentenced to the Colorado State prison system on an eight years to life. He remains in prison today, although his case is being appealed because he still maintains he was a juvenile when he had sexual relations with the 12-year-old.

Now, five years have passed. April Wilson had her daughter cremated and some of her ashes are at Sunset Memorial Gardens, but April kept most of them in the urn she has at home.

“She was a beautiful girl, taken away so young … and we still don’t know why or who did this to her,” she said.

April said she appreciates how Greeley police are handling the case. “Detective Morgan told me during the search for Kayleah that as long as he is a police officer he’d be looking for my daughter.”

Now, five years later, Morgan has hopes of finding Kayleah’s killer. Each year at this time, he walks out to the place where her body was found, along that irrigation ditch, where the grass is still yellow and no leaves have yet come to the cottonwood tree. Morgan said he comes here every year at this time … “just to remember.”

And April knows how he feels. She would like to find some answers.

“We’re asking people who know something to please step forward,” she said. “Kayleah, up in heaven, needs answers, as well.”

By Michael Weitzman 05 Aug, 2017

Bradenton Herald

January 18, 2017 2:56 PM

By Michael Weitzman 05 Aug, 2017

BY Kerry Burke   Mary Mcdonnell   Graham Rayman   Larry Mcshane


Updated: Saturday, January 28, 2017, 4:06 AM

It took city officials five months to confirm what neighbors suspected immediately: 3-year-old Caleb Rivera  was a murder victim.

“I had an idea,” said Nikki Whatley, 39, who performed CPR on the gaunt little boy outside their East Harlem apartment building last August.

“I still see that boy’s eyes in my nightmare and in my dreams,” said Whatley, the mother of four. “That boy was lifeless when I got to him.”

Caleb’s death was declared a homicide Friday after the city medical examiner determined he was killed by multiple blows to the head and neck.

The boy’s mother, who was in their apartment with two men when Caleb was mortally injured, insisted she had no idea who was to blame for her son’s killing.

“I am not talking to anybody about anything,” mom Alexandra Guzman said from behind the door of her apartment on Friday. “I am not giving up anything. Why are you harassing me?”

Asked specifically who killed little Caleb Rivera, the mother answered, “Nobody. It was — have a good day. Nobody. That is the only answer you’ll get from me.”

Construction worker Adrian Rivera, 24, the child’s father, said he’s suspected for months that Guzman was hiding something.

“He was a happy healthy baby and I loved my baby,” he said. “They should both go to jail. I want to know: Did he do this and then she covered up? If the police won’t do something, I will.”

Rivera said after he and Guzman broke up, she barred him from seeing Caleb. He said he begged her to bring the baby to his mother’s house. “She wouldn’t. I texted her the week before (Caleb died): ‘Please bring me my baby.’ She said she was good where she was. She wouldn’t bring him to me, and then this happened.”

By Jane Alvarez 30 Jul, 2017

             April, Child Abuse Awareness month, has passed. It went by without any comment from the Director of Social Services, Ted Myers (“…blood is thicker than water…”, or attorney Andrew Wolf, (“…we do the legally correct thing…”).

            During television interviews with Santa Barbara’s KEYT-TV a few of years ago on the question raised by a Ventura County Star editorial regarding the whereabouts of Mario,  these gentlemen, in making the above statements,  attempted to explain why Social Service workers, and an a child advocate attorney advocate and/or permit the re-unification of an abused child with its abuser(s).  Mario was a toddler beaten into a coma by his mother.  Social workers reunified Mario with his mother even though he continued to be abused. 

            We have heard, and continue to hear, numerous times that Social Services’ purpose is to protect children from abuse. The child’s advocate in Court is supposed to also protect their right to freedom from abuse. Neither succeeds.

            And the reason they do not is revealed by their statements. Their hands are tied. Mr. Wolf is correct, re-unification is the legally correct thing to do, never mind that questions of ethics and morality are raised by the re-unification of a person who lacks love and parenting skills with a child who is helpless to speak for or defend himself.  

            And, yes, though it is a convenient and telling euphemism, blood is thicker than water. It merely goes to prove the point that a tiny human feels a craving for and needs love from the only caregiver it has known from birth. Though the child bonds, the adult may not want to or cannot commit to a responsibility.

            Congress, in its infinite wisdom, saw the tragedies brought about by the abuse of children. They saw not only the physical and emotional effects, but also acknowledged that deaths of children were sometimes the outcome of such conduct. They further saw the financial toll upon society, not only for the treatment of the physical and emotional injuries, but upon the fact that some of these children become a financial burden rather than positive contributors to society. As Congress does best they began the battle against child abuse by passing laws, in this case, Title 42 of the United States Code, Chapter 67, Section 5106a.

            This released money to fund Social Services and created responsibilities to fund programs. It created a confidentiality clause to protect not only the child’s identity and reputation but also that of the abuser. It required every State to pass a law saying that re-unification of the abused with its abuser was not required. But it also stated that despite a parent or caregiver having killed or assaulted a child the State (read as Judge), could, on a case by case basis, reunify a child of the sibling with the killer or abuser. Congress sat back; it had passed a law to protect children.

            In other words, blood is thicker than water and re-unification is the legally correct thing to do, regardless of what further injuries the child will suffer. 

By Jane Alvarez 30 Jul, 2017

 I recently attended a meeting where I listened to gut-wrenching stories from adults who feared for the safety of their children who were reporting sexual crimes against them by family members. As the founder of The Children’s Wall of Tears™, these stories are not new to me as I hear hundreds of cases each year.

  • When there is testimony from children telling of abuse, and no one is charged with the crime, I wonder why there are so many deaf ears.
  • When there are written notes from therapists saying the child is a credible witness and the child still remains in the home with the abuser,
 I wonder where the justice is for this child. Who are these social workers and judges who overlook these very important facts? Does the family unit come before the child’s safety? Remember the attorney who said, “ We don’t do what is in the child’s best interest. We do the legally correct thing. ” (KEYT-TV documentary “Where’s Mario?” between me & court appointed child attorney.)
  • Re-define the family unit. A family unit doesn’t burn, beat, break bones, starve, scald, kill or sexually molest their children.
  • Define child abuse as the crime it is.  Child abusers are criminals. It is not a family problem. If I slap you, you can have me arrested. If I injure you, I can be charged with a felony assault. Why is it that we beat, burn, break bones, scald, starve, sexually molest our children and it is a family problem?
  •  Hold judges and social workers accountable when they continually reunify defenseless children with their abusers and the child continues to suffer. Police officers are held accountable when their actions cause injury or death,  yet, judges and social workers have a great deal of information PRIOR to their decisions when they reunify an abused child with their abusers and the child(ren) dies, they are not held accountable. 
  • Lift the cloak of confidentiality from judges and social services. CPS decline to comment about its actions, citing confidentiality.    Many say, “We can do better.” I say, “Why aren’t we doing better?”
By Jane Alvarez 30 Jul, 2017

      Recently Leo and I visited the great city of Oklahoma and toured the Oklahoma Bombing Memorial.  Without a doubt, this memorial strengthened our faith in the American people, our patriotism and our feelings against terrorism. We could not help but walk away from this great monument with a passion that undoubtedly carved our futures. Throughout our tour of the memorial we could not help but think about the 168 lives lost in this horrific event. There was one particular photo on the wall of the daycare center showing children that were signed-in that fateful day. It haunts us. What madman would callously murder innocent children, let alone adults?

     We read every sign and studied every photo in the museum.  We were overwhelmed with sadness and rage at the very same time.  We began to systematically think about terrorism and what it really means and how it affects our lives.



the use of violence and threats to intimidate or coerce, esp. for political purposes.

          2.  the state of fear and submission produced by terrorism or terroization.

          3.  a terroristic method of governing or of resisting a government.

     Terrorism begins with creating a fear within the victim and escalates quickly to injury and in many cases death. Until September 11, 2001, few Americans were aware that terror existed beyond that seen on movies or on TV.   After 911, we became aware of our vulnerability to suffering at the hands of people who find it acceptable to inflict pain on innocent people without blinking an eye. The bombing in Oklahoma City  traumatized this great nation. We were forced to face the anxiety of knowing that at any time, in any place, violence can strike, and in that respect, we are now victims of terrorism.

            While we feel a deep sadness for the victims of the attacks in New York City and Washington D.C., the plane crash in Pennsylvania and their families and the Oklahoma City Bombing and their families, who have lived to suffer the devastating pain of the loss of a loved one, we began to think about the children here in the United States who live under this anxiety every day. How did we overlook their terrorism?   Most call it child abuse. We call it child cruelty.

            In child’s world, violence comes not at the hands of politically motivated extremists, but from their parents or caregivers. Suffering comes not from weapons of mass destruction, but fists, belts, scalding water, locked in dark closets, and cruel words. Attacks are not a rare occurrence, but a daily reality. Knowing that it is coming is the epitome of terrorism especially since a child is incapable of defending himself and does not know where to turn to avoid the torture and pain of neglect or abuse.

            We kept thinking about the fact that while we watched news coverage of buildings crumbling and thousands of terrified, innocent people running for their lives, young spirits are being crushed at the hands of heartless adults with no high-profile media coverage to spark a country to awareness and action. Yes, we occasionally see, hear and read of young victims being abused or killed, but, few people are moved to act. The usual response to such news is an “…Oh, no!...” statement, and then on to breaking news.

            While troops of rescue workers sift through debris in a desperate attempt to recover victims, young children are cowering in corners after yet another merciless beating, wondering if anyone cares enough to rescue them. While an entire nation mourns for the victims of the Sept. 11 attacks and the Oklahoma City Bombing, abused children continue to suffer horrifically with no tears of sadness shed on their behalf. Is it apathy on the part of the general public? Apparently so. we don’t see any great rush of humanity at the breaking story of another child being beaten or killed. Nor do we see more than platitudes from public officials or legislators. Yes, you will hear comments that such and such should be investigated. You hear that so and so is understaffed, overworked, and over whelmed but you do not hear from the front line workers who deal with child abuse on a daily basis.

            For the past 25 years, we have been working to increase America’s awareness to the horrors of child cruelty and to bring the reality of the unimaginable level of physical and mental suffering these children deal with to the forefront.

           We have written numerous commentaries and letters to the editors of newspapers and given speeches and talks to various groups and organizations. We have spoken in Washington, D.C. before a distinguished group of professionals and even sponsored a law in the California Legislature to provide computerized criminal history to child protective service workers so that they do not reunify the child with criminals.  Unfortunately, that law failed in the appropriations department.  Apparently $50,000 for the entire State of California is not worth protecting children.  We have spent anguished hours over the opposition we have received and welcomed the pats on the back. But, child cruelty continues and children continue to live the daily terror awaiting the next blow.

            Statistics show that everyday, scores of children are terrorized by abusive parents and that list continues to grow each year. Every 10 seconds a child is abused. Every 5 hours a child is killed. In cold, hard terms that means that every day a small hand is held over a flame, an infant is dipped in scalding water, a child is forced to swallow household cleansers, an empty stomach grumbles while parents eat, a terrified toddler trembles in a dark, locked closet, a tiny arm is broken, a life comes to a premature end. The scenes of the World Trade Center and the Pentagon were difficult to look at, but, they can’t compare to the scenes that flash in front of the small eyes of an abused child.

            I leave it to you to decide if a child, under these circumstances, is experiencing not only terror but wondering when it all will end.

            The unified resolve shown by the American people following the recent terrorist attacks is impressively powerful and elicits confidence that swift, sure action will be taken to punish and prevent terrorist acts. If only that same level of mass resolve were focused on saving abused children. If only our country stood unified in the defense of these helpless children, how many young victims of daily terrorism could be saved? How many small spirits could be recovered? How many terrorists could be stopped?

            We wonder what horrendous atrocity must occur to a child before every American resolves to put an end to child cruelty in every home in which it occurs.We  have stated before, in print and speeches, that there is a pandemic of child cruelty throughout the world. Now, with the advent of the bird flu, mad cow disease, tainted spinach, Aids and other “epidemics”, the word pandemic has become as familiar to us as the word terrorism and, unfortunately, we must now state that a pandemic of child cruelty now exists on this Planet.

            Simply put in perspective, if a disease were killing hundreds of children in America each year, the Center for Disease Control would mobilize everything it could to find the cause. Federal and State governments would spend millions on treatment and trying to find a cure. No stone would be left un-turned and no sum of money would be too great in an effort to end the pandemic.  Over 3,000 children are kiled through abuse and neglect each year.  Is that not an epidemic in your eyes?

            Yes, our lives were forever changed by our  visit to the Oklahoma Bombing Memorial

By Michael Weitzman 28 Jul, 2017

Interesting stories about famous people, biographies, humorous stories, photos and videos. Top of Form

Bottom of Form

By Leo Alvarez 24 Jul, 2017
It bothers many of us, and if it doesn’t bother you there is something wrong with you. I’m referring to child abuse and neglect and the killing of children.
They may deny it but the Powers That Be don’t care about American children suffering and dying, at least the Record indicates this. If they did things would change. They are interested in keeping families together, particularly the dysfunctional ones because they do not deal with “normal” families.
An attorney once said, as he referred to abused children, We may not necessarily do what is in the best interest of the child, but, we do the legally correct thing. He was and still is in the Just A System, along with the judges, Court appointed child advocates and CPS – they all know, but either keep silent or quit and give up and the children continue to suffer and die.
One law, CAPTA (Google it), Child Abuse Prevention and Treatment Act, is a Federal law which cannot be superceded by State laws. It is the tail that wags the dog because all States, if they want federal funding for Social Services, must comply with it. Child abuse, and resulting death, are crimes and should be prosecuted, but sometimes they are not.
CAPTA contains the confidentiality clause and the clause that says a child cannot be reunified with the killer of its sibling, except on a case by case basis to be determined by a judge.
Do you want a child abuse victim to be sent home with the abuser? It is done every day and it will continue until You and I and every American wises up.
By Michael Weitzman 05 Jul, 2017
By Michael Weitzman 03 Jul, 2017

Body of Missing 5-Year-Old Boy Found Near Lake Cachuma as His Father Is Accused of His Murder

By Dave Quinn @NineDaves  July 1, 2017

The body of a missing 5-year-old California boy last seen in late April  has been found near a Santa Barbara County lake, homicide detectives confirmed to PEOPLE Saturday.

Aramazd Andressian  Jr. was found near Lake Cachuma on Friday, after additional leads brought homicide detectives back to the area searching for additional evidence.

The discovery came hours after the boy’s father, Aramazd Andressian Sr., was extradited to Los Angeles where he has been charged with the 5-year-old’s murder. The 35-year-old man was detained on June 23 in Las Vegas  in connection with his son’s death, and is being held on $10 million bail on a single murder count.

The boy was last seen on April 20, when he and his father visited Disneyland in Anaheim, California. They left the theme park around midnight.

Within a week of the boy’s disappearance, police arrested his dad on suspicion of one count of child endangerment and one count of child abduction. But they released him days later , citing “insufficient evidence.” It was not immediately clear what prompted his re-arrest.

Officials confirm that Andressian, Sr. and his wife, Ana Estevez, are embroiled in a bitter divorce, but they shared custody of their son.

Andressian, Jr. was supposed to be dropped off by his father in San Marino, California, on April 22 — but the elder Andressian failed to show. Instead, he was found passed out near his car in a nearby park. Police have alleged that the inside of his car was doused with gasoline and there were matches in his vehicle.

Andressian, Sr. told investigators he believed he was attacked, but he had no memory of the assault. He also told police he had taken some prescription medication that morning before falling unconscious, CNN reported .

“There has been a great deal of speculation regarding the timeline around his disappearance,” Andressian, Sr. wrote in a statement  issued nearly a week after his son vanished. “The last time I saw my son was on Saturday morning, the 22nd, at Arroyo Park near my home in South Pasadena. After breakfast Aramazd Jr. wanted to go to the park before we were to meet his mother for a custody exchange at 9:00 a.m.”

“In one moment, I was at the park with my son, and then I found myself waking up in Huntington Memorial Hospital hours later,” he continued. “I was told that a good Samaritan found me unconscious on the ground near my car, with young Aramazd nowhere in sight. I can only speculate that I must have been attacked in the park, given my unresponsive state and subsequent physical condition.”

“My family and I are heartbroken and grief-stricken that Aramazd Jr. is missing and may be in harm’s way,” he continued. “I am pleading with the public to come forward with any knowledge of Aramazd Jr.’s whereabouts or information regarding the circumstances leading up to his disappearance.”

Estevez has also spoken publicly , pleading for the public’s help at a May news conference with law enforcement.

“There are no words to describe how devastated and heartbroken I am,” Estevez said through tears, before speaking directly to her son. “This message is for you my love: Be brave, honey. Don’t ever forget that mama loves you to the moon and the stars. I am counting the days until I see you honey, and I will never stop looking for you.”

“To those who are concealing my son, I pray every day that God will touch your heart and guide you to do the right thing and return my son,” she said.

Anyone with any information about this ongoing case can call the Los Angeles Sheriff’s Department at 323-890-5500 or police in South Pasadena, California, at 626-403-7297.

By Michael Weitzman 03 Jul, 2017
The Columbus Dispatch
More Posts
Share by: